Follow RSS Follow @Lis_Ann Follow Google+ Follow on Pinterest

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Breaking Free

I just made an unexpected trip home. My grandpa isn't doing too well. Cancer has spread all over his body and I think that's the last time I'll be seeing him until God decides to take me home. I'm glad he got to spend the few years with us that he did (he's my step-grandpa), he's truly a great man, and it just reminds me that time is too precious to waste. But I hate goodbyes. Most of them anyway. I hate witnessing others in pain and not being able to do anything about it. I can't even imagine what they must think or feel. However, without goodbyes God would be limited from doing a lot of things that change allows Him to do.

Speaking of change, nothing is the same back home anymore. My sister's married. My brother and sister in law have a new house. My cousin has moved. My mom is now remarried and lives out in the country. I love the place, it was so nice to be out in the middle of nowhere with an open field and trees and space to breathe away from the city. I love small towns. Or really, I love country when it's near a city. I get so stressed out in Springfield with there being over 160,000 people and hardly any space that hasn't been industrialized.

I went through the rest of my boxes while I was there. I'm going to attempt to sell the majority of it on eBay. It was strange going through my boxes. I can hardly believe that girl was me. And it's only been 3 years but so many things can change in a short amount of time. Like my habit of blogging. I used to do it at least 3-5 times a week and now it's hardly ever. Granted, I started writing on paper (which is kind of backwards, but I've always been a little old-school) and so much has changed I feel too vulnerable just putting everything out here. My thoughts have been such a mess since my dad died it's been taking me a very long time to get them back in order. But hey, I'm getting there.

For example: I realized going into college I didn't really have a goal. I just went into music because it was all I really knew. Why? Okay, this is going to sound incredibly ridiculous, but up until I graduated my only goal in life, honestly, was to succeed in our high school Show Choir. No joke. I was hoping I could do it forever, but I knew it had to end sometime. I mean really, who does Show Choir as a career? That's right, no one. And I love music, but I don't want to teach it, I don't want to be famous...so where does that leave me? Being in choir for the rest of my life? That won't get me anywhere either.

So I've been searching for that niche. That thing that I feel is what God is calling me to do, that I won't be doing for the wrong reasons and just..fits. Yeah, it's taken me time to decide and test the waters. But while I was home and talking to my grandma (my dad's mom) she said something that soothed every bit of my worries about me not deciding while all my friends just jumped into their careers: A lot of people get stuck in the idea that you need to get started early and stay in the same place in order to be successful. But how are you going to reach your full potential if you don't test the waters to figure out what exactly it is you're meant to do? And think of all the experience you get with so many different things along the way, how could that possibly NOT help you? There's a reason God puts you through it, and it's okay to be different from the mold.

Thanks Grandma, I'm glad I have your support.

So here is my hope: I have an interview next month. A very important interview that can determine my entire destiny. That will cause me to relocate (Moving back up North, yay!! But no, not back up to Michigan), focus, and go in a completely new direction. Thus my getting rid of the majority of my things because I'm trying this new thing where I embrace the fact that part of my calling is to be a drifter. (haha..that's a joke. Or...is it?)

In other news, school starts back up in a few weeks and I'm moving out of my apartment into a cutesy little town home with this lovely widow that I'll be helping to take care of. I'm pretty sure she's very close to what I'll be like when I'm elderly. Love company, and spend my free time shopping and going to the Opera. Oh, and I'll have a cute little hypoallergenic dog, too.

That's about it. This is longer than normal but hey, that's why I should update more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment